What is an app?
An app is a software application that is designed to run on mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets.
Apps vary depending on the type of mobile device you own. For example there are iPhones, iPads, Androids, and Window app stores that allow you to browse and download applications.
What is a Mobile Website?
A mobile site refers to websites that are made specifically for viewing and using on a mobile device. They usually permit access to the same content as the original website, though often with a simplified appearance to enable faster downloading and easier viewing from a smaller smartphone screen.
NOTE: This is copied from another libguide so will have to be revised
Online courses from 115+ of the top universities and educational institutions in the world including Stanford, Yale, Princeton and others. Learn anytime, anywhere, in topics ranging from computer science to cooking and beyond.
The modern workspace that syncs between all of your devices. Work everywhere and stay productive. • Write notes, checklists, and research • Organize web articles, docs, and photos • Discuss your work with others, right within the app
Your personalized and interactive document reader that lets you view, annotate and organize your documents from virtually anywhere - it even works offline. All while giving you peace of mind knowing that these documents are safely stored in both the app and Binder Cloud.
Read thousands of book reviews by your friends and other Goodreads members, keep a virtual bookshelf of what you've read, and build your to-read list as you discover great books on the app.
The next time you find an article, video or link you want to read or watch later, just save it to Pocket. It’ll sync across your phone, tablet, and computer so you can come back to it whenever and wherever you’d like, even when you’re offline.
Not everyone has the manual dexterity to use the iPhone keyboard easily. Dragon Dictation simplifies creating text on the iPhone. Open the app, speak into the microphone, and Dragon Dictation converts your words into text, which can then be copied and pasted.
A dictionary and thesaurus, based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary. Includes audio of the correct pronunciation.
Access to over 80,000 articles. Basic app is free.
My Homework Student Planner
Password manager for generating secure passwords and storing all you passwords securely. Synchronizes in the background with your computers and other mobile devices. A great way to avoid using the same password on every site
Change your smartphone into a powerful QR Code scanner. Open the app, point the camera at the code. By using the phone's camera, you will quickly scan and recognize the information of the barcode.
Dropbox is the place for your photos, docs, videos, and other files. Files you keep in Dropbox are safely backed up and you can get to them from all your devices. It’s easy to send large files to anyone, even if they don’t have a Dropbox account.
• Create boards to organize anything you're working on.
• Use them solo or invite coworkers, friends and family to collaborate.
• Customize workflows for different projects
• Add checklists of "To-Dos" on cards
• Assign tasks to yourself and coworkers
• Comment on items with your friends
• Upload photos and videos
• Attach files
OneNote is your digital notebook for capturing and organizing everything across your devices. Jot down your ideas, keep track of classroom and meeting notes, clip from the web, or make a to-do list, as well as draw and sketch your ideas.
Essential Skills Mobile App Features
- Profiles of over 40 different trade and technology careers.
- Summary of the Nine Essential Skills for the workplace.
- A comprehensive set of questions that can be completed on average in 15-20 minutes. Results are provided as a star rating link to careers in trade and technology sectors.
- Social Media features for users to share their results with friends, teachers and parents. Students can post and compare their results to see how their friends are performing and progressing. Teachers can use the App as a classroom tool.
- A link to the Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) Office of Literacy and Essential skills with access to all the National Occupational Profiles. Results can be compared against the levels of complexity in the ESDC profiles for specific skilled trade careers.
- A directory of all trade and technology schools and training facilities in Canada.